For the last #FridayOldFashioned before Christmas, here is a Mince Pie Old Fashioned. Instead of using the mince pie cognac for this one, here is a more versatile approach to mince pie flavouring: a mince pie syrup:
- Warm 500ml water and 500g sugar in a pan over a low heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add 200g mincemeat, bring to the boil and then turn off the heat.
- Allow the mixture to cool and then strain out the mincemeat. Bottle, refrigerate and use within two weeks.
For the Mince Pie Old Fashioned:
- Add a teaspoon of mince pie syrup, three dashes of bitters and a barspoon of water to a mixing glass. Stir to dissolve.
- Add two ice cubes and 30ml whiskey and stir well (thirty times).
- Repeat step two and then strain into a rocks glass and garnish with a mince pie (you can tell mine is homemade!)