A short #FridayOldFashioned post for the Friday before Christmas – traditionally a day when carnage is wreaked up and down the High Streets of Britain as office workers go wild with stick-on antlers and snowman deeley-boppers.
Personally I’d rather be at home in the warm in a reserved Christmas jumper enjoying a warming whiskey cocktail than out in an overly chintzy decorated chain pub downing lager or ‘draft’ mulled wine by the bucketload, so here’s a simple recipe if you’re of a similar mind:
- Combine a teaspoon of gingerbread syrup*, 60ml whiskey and a sploosh of bitters in a mixing glass.
- Add ice and stir well for sixty seconds.
- Strain into a chilled old fashioned glass, over ice.
- Garnish with an amaretto cherry (Christmas tincture optional).
* You can make your own by adding ginger and cinnamon to a basic simple syrup recipe (follow Nigella’s recipe here) or use the pre-mixed Starbucks or Monin versions that are reasonably easy to find in the shops at this time of year.